Thursday, January 14, 2010

More Basement Studio Progress

Here's a before picture of another corner of the basement space we do our raku pottery in. I do not know why that section of wall was painted orange, but the wood inset was necessary to accommodate a mount for the proper voltage of our kiln, so it, and the huge gray cord have to stay.





Making a little headway with my block by block paint pattern, I got a little distracted when I found a forged iron bracket I had forgotten about laying in the corner. Then I remembered a sign I had made up out of wood that washed up along the shore, that paired with the bracket, would give the look of an old trade sign.





My sister had given me this board that originally washed up on her shore, because she knew I would figure out what to do with it. It needed nothing in the way of paint or weathering, as it was perfectly aged by the salt water. All I did was paint up some wooden letters from the craft store, and attach them with a bit of gorilla glue and some finish nails.





I even managed to split this letter when I hammered in the nail, but I love the added effect it gave to the sign.




The board really couldn't have been more perfect for this sign.




I'm having so much fun with this redo, just using things I already have on hand with the exception of a couple light fixtures that I purchased for under $25 total.




I'm anxious to show you how the light fixtures look in the space, but I still have lots to do before then!


8 comments:

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

That sign is just perfect. I love old wood.

Low Tide High Style said...

It's looking great and I love that sign, what a great way to recycle!

Kat :)

Lisa said...

That is AWESOME. LOVE, love, love the sign.

Smiles,
Lisa

Kelly said...

The sign with the letters looks so old. I like old. I feel old. LOL.
Happy remodeling.
Kelly

Elenka said...

A kiln in your cellar. I'm so jealous.
What does it do to your electric bill???

Lili said...

Elenka - Maybe $15-$20 per firing...we pack it full though, not like those shows on HGTV where they show someone firing a single piece for 24 hours! --Lili

SHANNA WHEELOCK said...

your studio is looking good! mine is kinda blah - not worked in yet (since the move) and i begin down there in a few days - but soooo cold! how do you heat your space? i am freezing my butt off!

shanna

Lili said...

Hi Shanna, It's where our furnace is located, and somehow it does manage to take the chill off as it's heating the rest of the house. You must have a different setup? I hope you find a way to warm up your space . . . nothing like cold, hard clay when you're trying to throw. --Lili