Friday, February 19, 2010

Slip Sliding Away

Back at Eagle Lake in Acadia National Park today, it was far more challenging for me to get around. These folks have the right idea though.



The lack of snow and milder temperatures have made getting around on foot across the frozen lake very treacherous indeed.




Yes, that's Henri out there on the ground, but he has just finished drilling a hole through the still 2 feet of frozen ice and is just sitting there baiting his trap.




I was able to capture some shots of the arrival of a new ice shack and thought you might like to see how it's done. In this shot, the ice shack is sitting on a utility trailer being backed onto the ice.




How convenient to have a tilting trailer to allow the ice shack to just slide down onto the ice.



These guys picked a good day to do this, don't you think?





And that's all there is to it. Shack is sited. Nice view.




Since the newly sited shack was now blocking the view of our traps from where were were sitting in our truck, we decided to call it quits for the day, and took a walk on a nearby trail. Here's one of the views from the trail.



On our way home, I took this shot out the window as we were passing Somes Sound, which used to be referred to as the only fjord on the East Coast.



In recent years, it's been technically downgraded to a fjard. Whatever. It's still very deep.

3 comments:

Low Tide High Style said...

It looks like you had another great day out on the ice. I've never been ice fishing before but it looks like fun. I think I will wait and try it when it's not so slippery though!

Kat :)

Fabulously French said...

What beautiful photos, so peaceful and serene.

Hope you are having a great weekend,

Leeann x

Mickey (Michel) Johnson said...

...now that is dedication. my youngest loves to fish and will take any opportunity to pop a line into our pond, but that might deter him...uuum...on second thought, no it wouldn't he would be right out there with henri. received my wee bit o sunshine yesterday and it was of perfect timing. the skies were grey and overcast and my spirits matched them identically until i opened my wee gift from my treasured friend...thank you from the bottom of my heart! xo, mickey