Thursday, February 25, 2010

A Nest of Driftwood and Mussel Shells

Tonight the wind is howling outside, which means tomorrow may be a good day for beach combing. Taken on a summer day, this picture shows the type of driftwood we often find washed up on shore here.


Here's something Henri and I made a couple years ago. Using a crudely constructed bird house that I picked up at a thrift store for a couple bucks, virtually everything else used on this bird's nest came from the shore. Henri cut and assembled the driftwood to a platform he made out of wooden planks also found on the shore.


It is still is one of my favorites, so that's why you get to see lots of pictures.
Still with me? Or are you bored yet?



Okay, on to the details. These are mussel shells that I layered up for the roof, using my glue gun.




I really love the triangle shape entrance.




This is a sliver from a lobster buoy that once belonged to a lobster man. I found it just like this on the shore. The number on there identifies who it once belonged to. I decided the bird's nest needed an address.





A tiny bit of driftwood for a perch and some unraveled rope strands in an aqua color serve as nesting material.



More shore finds for display on the platform.




And finally, you've reached the last picture.



The wind is still blowing hard outside, and so now I'm off to dream about what I may find on the shore tomorrow!


7 comments:

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Sounds like good beachcombing weather. I used to love that on days after storms when we were kids in Alaska.

The bird house is wonderful - I love all the photos. You are both so clever.

Low Tide High Style said...

It's blowing like crazy here too! I love your driftwood and mussel shell birdhouse! I hope to go out this weekend to find a few pieces of driftwood for our front flower bed, but for now I'll stay inside my warm and cozy house!

Kat :)

Dear Lillie said...

This is so creative! The mussel shell roof is so cool!!!! Love it!

Kass said...

You live the kind of life most people only dream about. It makes me feel hopeful. I love what you've created.

Mickey (Michel) Johnson said...

...oh my...you bring out the green eyed monster of envy in me way too often. that is the cutest thing. you are incredibly creative. i loved you sign over at completely coastal too...especially the gold leaf and that stunning blue lobster! xo, mickey

Unknown said...

great photos. you're a beachlifer, too :-)

Ange said...

Coucou Lili,
What a wonderful surprise to come back from Provence to find some beautifully wrapped pieces of beachcombed glass. They truly are treasures and I'm so thrilled. They will decorate my bathroom. I haven't told you yet - but I still have pieces of glass and driftwood that I found in New Zealand on holidays in 1998!! My own Lili (second messmonster) was very mesmerised too...

LOVE YOUR BIRDCAGE (specially the lobster cage piece and ...well all of it ;-)

Thanks again. Will write a wee post about it as soon as I get back on to the Mac properly (have to take Lili to A&E this morning as she has sprained her ankle I think - Not skiing, missing the last step on her way down to the car!!!) Much love from France.