Monday, February 22, 2010

A Potter Is Born

This is one of several pieces of pottery that our dear friend Diane recently made over at our place.






These are her first six pieces that made it through our recent raku fire.






And tonight was the first time she got to see them, when I brought them to our Monday night stained glass class that we attend together. You can read about the night that she first made these wheel thrown pieces here.






She was unable to witness them being fired the other night, but she still has a few more that she made that we held back from the fire until she can make it back over to our place.





I was so excited for her to see them, as there's just nothing like seeing your first piece of raku that started from a lump of clay. I loved them when I first saw them fresh from the fire. I think she has fallen in love with them too.




While we were at class tonight I thought I would take a photo to show you some lamps that our teacher, Alice, made. I love the color combination she chose, it's almost like an eggplant paired with a pale aqua.






And I believe I see a dragon somewhere in this one. Her work is amazing.






Also at the studio where we attend class I noticed these 3 new paintings that were propped up on the floor against the wall. Alice said they were 3 that her sister recently did.







So much talent in one family.





That's the thing about living in such a beautiful place.






There seems to be an unending amount of inspiration!

4 comments:

Teri said...

I took a pottery class when I was on a cruise a couple years ago. Loved it! There is most definitely a dragon in that lamp! and the painting are beautiful.

Low Tide High Style said...

Your friend Diane's pottery turned out beautifully! I'm sure she is proud of her new wares!

And those lampshades and paintings are so pretty. I saw the dragon too! I do think our surrounding inspire us, and you certainly live in inspiring surroundings!

Kat :)

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Wonderful art - there is so much to be inspired by in nature. My cousin collects pottery by one certain potter in Oregon - he presses a small frond of cedar into the clay before firing and when the cedar burns away in the firing there is an indentation in the shape of the cedar - another wonderful inspiration from nature.

Diane said...

Who's that gorgeous model holding those pots?!