Thursday, February 18, 2010

All Fired Up

Things were sure heating up at our place tonight. Henri has just taken the lid off our raku kiln to reveal this glowing pot that has reached 1900 degrees F.


Here you can see the tongs he is using to transport this pot over to the waiting garbage can filled with newspaper.


As soon as the pot hits the paper, it bursts into flame.



Tonight we got some aqua color along with the copper flashes.



Even though we used the same glaze, each pot has different results.




Here's the inside of one that got a sprinkling of sea glass at the bottom.




While Henri was busy with the fire tonight, I made myself busy in the kitchen.




Except my blueberry muffins only had to reach 350 degrees F. before they were done.

8 comments:

Mickey (Michel) Johnson said...

...love the pots and the muffins...1900 is one way to fight the winter cold i suppose! xo, mickey

Low Tide High Style said...

I would be so afraid I'd light something on fire! But the end result is simply stunning! And I love blueberry muffins, yum!

Kat :)

Teri said...

I adore raku!! Your pieces are lovely.

Barry said...

Hmm, looks like a sprinkling of sea glass on the muffins too! And I'm betting those are Maine blueberries??

Sandy, Sisters of Season said...

Those pots are beautiful . . the sea glass looks so pretty in the bottom of that pot. Have a good weekend!

Mermaid's Purse said...

Wow!! Such amazing shots, especially the glowing pot from the kiln. Never saw this before. Gives me a greater appreciation for artists like yourselves. The sea glass at the bottom is a great touch. I look forward to more pics. :)

Fair Winds and Calm Seas,
Deborah Leon www.mermaidspurseseaglass.com

Dear Lillie said...

Mmmmm.....your posts always make me hungry =)

And your pots are gorgeous! Love that teal color!

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Glad you didn't let the muffins reach 1900 degrees. They do look delicious. And the photos of the red hot pottery - amazing.