Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Appetite For Stained Glass

These are jolly rancher candies, that are getting ready to get a good smashing.



That was fun. And it almost looks like sea glass now.


How I would love to find the colors of these little gems on the shore!

I've never made stained glass cookies before, but I looked all this up on-line and it looked pretty straightforward. So, with a few of my cookie cutters and a batch of sugar cookie dough, I began experimenting using pastry bag tips and other smaller cookie cutters to make cutouts in each cookie. After adding the jolly rancher shards to the cutouts, I baked them in a preheated oven at 375 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes. To assure the candy doesn't separate from the cookie when they are done, they must be cooled on a rack for at least 5 minutes before removing them from the pan. Here they are right before I put them into the oven.



I thought I should also make some plain ones just in case the candy part tasted icky.



Out of the oven and all cooled, they really do resemble stained glass.




Guess who's been drinking too much coffee today?





Like we needed more sugar.






I can't get over how easy these were to make.






We haven't eaten any of the ones with the larger span of candy yet.




The ones with the smaller bits of jolly rancher actually taste pretty good. And, I would even make them again too.

8 comments:

Blayne Macauley said...

Those cookies are beautiful!! I love the blue color!

Low Tide High Style said...

You are a stained glass makin fool! ;) Those are very cool and so pretty!

Kat :)

vanilla143 said...

These are such fun stained glass!

Diane said...

Now...I think you should bring some to stained glass class....Just a hint :-)

Kelly said...

Very nice cookies. They really look like stained glass. I bet kids would love to make these too.
Kelly

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

I tried those one time - long years ago - using lifesaver candy. They flopped miserably, and I see now that it could have been because I didn't leave them on the pan long enough after baking and also - no silpat baking liners back then - maybe I'll give them another try.

Brabourne Farm said...

I would love to be able to cook gorgeous things like this - sadly it's not one of my talents! Leigh

Mickey (Michel) Johnson said...

...lovely to look at and yummy to boot! what a great combination! thanks for sharing! xo, mickey