Sunday, July 19, 2009

I Don't Know What's Normal (In My Garden)

With this being my first garden ever, compounded with all the rain and cooler weather we have had so far this year, this is a sample of what's been happening out there. It's been just about 2 months since I started the first of my plants.

By far, the most prolific plant in my garden
Parsley


A blurry shot, but the 3 tiny green beans growing on this plant tell me this may be my next harvest.



Okay, now this one clearly looks like a snow pea. I don't remember planting any snow peas. I thought I had planted cantaloupes in this spot. And the vines really started trailing and then after the flower bloomed I saw a little green nub starting and told everyone about my tiny cantaloupe...until the shape elongated and then flattened out. Hmmmm I don't care what it is, I'm eating it when it's done.


Here's my lemon balm. It is so very fragrant just touching it with your fingers releases that wonderful lemony aroma. I have a recipe for lemon balm shortbread that I will make when I have enough to harvest a cupful.





A welcome surprise! A little tiny flower bud on my cherry tomato plant.





And here's my celery, that looks pretty much the same as when I
planted it from nursery bought seedlings.





My sweet pea flowers are growing all crazy and seem eager to latch onto the trellis, but no sign of buds yet.





Come on broccoli I know you can do it! My friend Diane that gave me
this plant as a seedling has already enjoyed a harvest or two of hers.



I'm really looking forward to some of these tiny, new red potatoes when they're ready.


So far, my garden has been critter free, or does that happen when you actually get to harvest the more substantial fruits of your labor? Until then, I remain a very happy gardener, because like I said, I don't know what's normal (in my garden).

2 comments:

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Great plants - seems things are coming along nicely. I don't have a garden this year so I'm enjoying the farm stands. Got the first tomatoes of the season this weekend - divine.

Anonymous said...

Your patato plants look very small-they need fertilizer. try miracle grow or more seafood compost or cow compost. They should come right to it. best, a garden friend.