Monday, December 28, 2009

More Scandi Treats

I wanted to show you this Finnish Coffee Braid that my friend Diane made for us.

I told her you would want the recipe, so here's how she makes it:
***********************************
Nisu (Finnish Coffee Braid)
2 cups sugar
2 sticks butter
2 tsp. salt
combine first 3 ingredients in mixing bowl, then add
2 cups scalded milk
2 T.yeast dissolved with 1/2 cup warm water
4 eggs
2 tsp. cardamon
10-12 cups flour
Knead dough until it feels like your earlobes [yes, she wrote that].
Let rise 1 hour. Divide into 9 pieces.
Roll into long strips to braid 3 loaves.
Place in bread pans to rise.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Turn out onto racks and brush with coffee/sugar mixture.
Makes delicious toast!
**********************************************
Would you just look at how perfect the texture is.

Diane told me it's traditionally toasted and enjoyed for breakfast with your morning coffee. I had never had Nisu before, and the first thing that came to my mind about the flavor, was that it tasted just like Christmas to me. Really!



And in case you're wondering if I had my share of Ebelskivers yesterday, apparently not. I made blueberry ones today.



Still hot I dotted with butter, dusted with powdered sugar, and drizzled with some pure maple syrup. Mmmmmm



I believe we are spoiled forever for having just plain old blueberry pancakes for breakfast.


1 comment:

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Ohhh it all looks so good. Must save that recipe - and I really must get busy blogging again.