Sunday, December 27, 2009

Ebelskivers


Today found me practicing with my new Ebelskiver pan (pronounced able-skeever) to make this unique sphere-shaped filled dessert that has its origins in Denmark. First you heat up 1/4 tsp. of unsalted butter within each well.



I believe one of the secrets of this light dessert are the whipped egg whites that you prepare beforehand and fold into the batter.




I just adore these curvy wooden ebelskiver skewers that are used to flip them over part way through cooking.



I had Henri capture my first attempt using the skewers.




Looks like they came out a tad on the dark side.



Our friends were on their way over, so I saved some batter for Diane to make a batch while I took pictures. This was her first attempt too. Starting in the center well you spoon 1 tablespoon of batter into each well, moving clockwise, to ensure uniform cooking.




Then you add a tsp. of filling. In this case we were using melted semi-sweet chocolate morsels.




And then another tablespoon of batter to top it off.





Hey! Why are hers so perfect on the first try?






Her Scandinavian heritage is showing me up!





Add a little powdered sugar to both sides, and my goodness, they were so yummy I forgot to take pictures of all of us enjoying them.





Anyway, the book has so many recipes for making these puffy pancakes with a wide range of wonderful sweet and savory toppings and fillings. The basic ingredients are what everyone has on hand -- milk, eggs, and flour. But you need to get yourself an Ebelskiver pan to make them!





Who knew how much fun these are to make!!!





I look forward to more ebelskivering, as I have become quite fascinated with my new pan and my gorgeous wooden ebelskiver skewers.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Ooooh, those look so yummy. My maiden name is Degerstrom, but the only Scandinavian dish that I can complete perfectly is the purchase of Swedish fish. I do enjoy them though.

Smiles,
Lisa

Lili said...

You're so funny Lisa...haven't had any Swedish fish for years! Way to get in touch with your Scandi side!

Dear Lillie said...

These look absolutely divine!!!!