Monday, December 14, 2009

Henri Helps Out In The Kitchen

After watching Giada de Laurentiis make this Holiday Biscotti recipe the other day on the Food Network, I set out to see what I could whip up using the ingredients I already had on hand. I had almonds, but no pistachios. Okay, that will work. No white chocolate, but I did have white chocolate chips. After mixing up the batter, the recipe directs you to roll into a 13" x 3" log before baking. This was the part where Henri appeared in the kitchen with a tape measure. What luck!



This is what it looks like after baking.




After cooling and cutting, you pop it back into the oven for another 15 minutes. Giada informs us that the Italian word "biscotti" actually means "twice baked".



A finished one, dipped in melted white chocolate morsels and sprinkled with holiday colors.

Then it occurred to me, if the white morsels were working, why not try them in chocolate!

Perhaps the pistachios go better with white morsels, but the almonds are pretty tasty with the chocolate.

Who knew that home made biscotti was actually very easy to make? And, they are way better than store bought. Although, having someone to measure them accurately, more than likely made all the difference.

1 comment:

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Those look delicious. I made biscotti one time and it was so hard I couldn't bite it - haven't tried it again since.