Sunday, February 21, 2010

Giving Your Home A Name


In Maine, it's more common to find this done near the coast. So I thought I would show you some examples that exist right here in Sorrento. Some places have had names assigned to them for generations, and are often descriptive of their location. This is a new sign that the current owners had made up to replace the weather-worn one that previously hung here.




This is a sign for a more recently named home. A stroll by here in the summer, as you breathe in the heady scent of rosa rugosa intermingled with the fresh salt air, will tell you it's appropriately named.





Not every sign has to be elaborate though, and I think that even makes it more special.



This sign has seen better days, yet I'm sure it remains a welcome sign for it's owner just the same.





Some names are often casual, and serve as a landmark for folks that travel along the route. Who says when you give your home a name that it has to be stuffy, or even formal!




This one may be named for elements of the surrounding area, or perhaps it's just the family name. I may be a little partial to the claw symbol myself, though.





I don't think I would ever outwardly name my home, but it's fun to think of what I would name it if I ever did! What about you?

11 comments:

Teri said...

We have named our new home. It's "Basecamp". I'm still designing our driveway sign.

Lisa said...

"Paid For"

Don't I just crack myself up?

I so LOVE my sea glass, thank you very much.

Smiles,
Lisa

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

We've named other houses - but not this "new to us" house that we bought 2 years ago. One house was Swallow Hill (the sweet swallows would fly out of the nest and peck Don's head every time he went in the back yard - he didn't think they were sweet), one was Lovely Home - named by our oldest daughter, so we should think of a name for this one - I'd like the name Crow in it somewhere - as we have crows here and we didn't at our last house and missed them terribly.

Fabulously French said...

Love this post.
We had to name ours due to having the Chambres D'hotes but it is not an easy task and I did not want something "fussy" hence "Maison No. 20" being the chosen name :-)

A bientot,

Leeann x

Unknown said...

i love that they do that. my uncle has a place on Nantucket and all the homes there have names, it's so charming :) susan

Unknown said...

I love the idea of naming your home and having a sign with that name on it! I especially like the first sign you showed...but I'd probably like the weather worn one even better! :) Old street signs...the big wooden ones...fetch a fair price at the flea market over here!

:) T

Maya @ Completely Coastal said...

I love the name Sea Level! I did a post on house names in my neighborhood too, a while back. I added the link to it below in case you wanted to check it out.

http://www.completely-coastal.com/2009/07/does-your-home-have-name.html

Elenka said...

No name, but it's something to think about. Can't say I've ever given it one second of thought before!

Brabourne Farm said...

I love all these gorgeous names and signs - such a lovely way to personalise your address. Leigh

Queenie said...

sweet pea cabin

seanymph said...

I did name this new home, long before I moved. I have a new love and its been wonderful for yrs now. After all the grief and problems in my ex marriage......I wanted something to signify my new life with my new guy. I found a sign that says Love Shack. I always loved that fun song but also my bf is a musician too. And so this house from now on will be filled with love and music...and the house name is perfect.