Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Focusing on My Distractions


Here's a photo that Henri took that I recently found on my camera.  I thought it was so simple and sweet and  for me it was a reminder of something I have not done in a long time.  While I am still sleeping, my dear husband has his own routine of sitting quietly by the window enjoying his first cup of coffee.  More and more I find myself distracted by Pinterest as I sip my coffee.  Looking at this photo I realized I needed to start giving equal time into finding inspiration from nature as well.  



Armed with our bicycles and camera we headed over to one of the carriage trails in Acadia National Park on a brisk yet sunny morning.  It had been a while since we rode our bikes and of course we ended up having to walk them up many of the long grades there.   I always sympathize whenever I see the horses pulling the carriages up these steep grades.


The shot below was Henri's idea and I had never tried this before, although I had always wanted to.  I used my bicycle seat to balance my camera while using a low speed setting on my camera to try to slow down the flow of the water.  He always has the ability to keep me focused, even though I may grumble and continue to be too distracted.


After a while though, it was me slowing down to catch a shot of this glistening web.  




And then one to capture the colors of this scenic vista along the trail. 



We enjoyed a bit of hiking too in the early morning mist.  


Being able to capture some pictures again for this blog helps keep me focused.  I thank you for bearing with me despite my long absence in between posts.  You all are the best! 

12 comments:

Robin Larkspur said...

Fabulous photos that make me want to jump right in the car and go see for myself! Hope you aren't too sore from the bike ride!

Privet and Holly said...

I think we all can
take a lesson from
this post in this
electronic world!
Great pictures and
inspiration, Lili!

Happy Tuesday,
xo Suzanne

joanne said...

it has taken every last ounce of determination that I have to stay away from Pinterest. I just can't go there....or you would never see me again. Great photos, thanks for the tip, I'm going to try slowing down a little and maybe take some better shots. take care Lili.

Country Girl said...

You did well with the water shot, Lili. Good for you. And all the others make me realize that I need to see Maine in the fall. Really need to!

Low Tide High Style said...

These images are beautiful reminders to slow down and take it all in. That spiderweb shot...stunning! And thank you for all of your sweet comments, each one made me smile!

Kat

Angie said...

Utterly gorgeous photos---wish I were there

Daryl said...

so lovely, and so clever of Henri to suggest using the bicycle seat as a 'tripod'

i have given up on Pinterest .. the whole copyright thing scared me off

Crown of Beauty said...

Hi dear Lili
It sure was a delight to find a new post from you. I've missed your lovely posts. I've wondered how your little greenhouse is doing. The photos taken during your walk are so beautiful. I've never been on pinterest, and I think I will stay away. In some ways, I even regret being on Facebook. You used a good word, "distractions."

I love that cardinal picture! And the horses... I love horses. When I was a young teen, we'd go on summer holidays and go horseback riding. There's something about riding a horse... the sense of wild abandon.

I trust all is well with you and your new shop, how have you been doing?

Love
Lidia

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

I love the way a camera slows things down - not just water - but life and our view. I'm enchanted by the spiderweb - we've not had so many of them this fall - and when they are out - not sunshine - I'm still hoping to get some photos of them this year. It is great to see a post - I love them, whenever they come.

Dianne said...

Hi Lili,
It's Dianne from Jacksonville. Just checking in and saying again how much I enjoyed our brief meeting. I love revisiting Maine by reading your blogs. Good luck with your "new" project. Dianne

Lili said...

To: Dianne from Florida...if you see this please email at lilivansluys@yahoo.com -- I can't reply back to your message because I don't have your email. And I need to share something really cool with you!
Or, check your Facebook for a new friend request from me. Thanks!

jennyfreckles said...

Gorgeous photos - I wish I could get myself out early in the mornings. It would be worth it! Love the pic of those horses steaming with effort.