Sunday, September 27, 2009

Done Roving

I bought a little bundle of wool roving to experiment with a few weeks ago. The little white puffy pile you see on the left is roving. I haven't learned a whole lot about it yet, but I know this pile came from a sheep. My experiment tonight, was to give it some color by using what I had on hand. Wilton's icing gels and food dye. And a microwave and some vinegar. And most importantly, the latex gloves right there on the right.


After I dipped the roving into a mixture of 1 part vinegar to 2 parts water, I took a paint brush and dipped it into the icing gel and started applying it to the roving.



Quite messy, but fun.

After all the paint was applied, I just popped it into the microwave for 4 minutes. I let it cool down before rinsing with cool water and this is the result.





I still have to hang it up to dry though.

But I was dyeing to show ewe how it came out.

1 comment:

Mickey (Michel) Johnson said...

...ewe colorful girl! looks like fun...my show went well. thanks for all your encouraging words...i have lots of orders to fill!!! xox, mickey