Saturday, September 26, 2009

Baking A Sea Cake



Tonight I gave my seashell cake pan another try. It had been years since the last time I tried to bake a cake in it. Perhaps the universe was aligned just right tonight, because this was the first time my cake inverted completely out of the pan.






I used 2 cake pedestals, a handful of seashells and I had a plan for a little more sea inspiration.






I had extra batter and wondered if these cookie cutters, paired with a pie plate would work as a mini cake pan.




The lobster was not cooperating. But what a happy little starfish!





Starfish gets a sprinkle of coarse sugar crystals





I used a pastry brush to apply a coat of cocoa mixed with pure vanilla extract, in horizontal bands across the cake to enhance the shape of the shell.






Time to get out my handknit starfish dishcloth to help out with the kitchen cleanup.







****************


And just a little reminder that the winner of my scented balsam moose pillow Giveaway will be selected on Monday! See last Thursday's post for more pictures and details of how to enter.

2 comments:

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

What a lovely sea cake. Ilike the way you put the lines on it.

Lisa said...

Wow, that's so pretty. Usually my cakes are lopsided and have finger prints in them.

Smiles,
Lisa