Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Getting Funky With Felted Wool

This is my stash of wool yarn...


and here are my bamboo knitting needles.





I like to knit with wool, because it shrinks when you wash it in hot water and you get a totally different look. The process of shrinking wool is called "felting."
Here are before and after pictures of a couple things I handknit in wool on a larger bamboo needle. In the before pictures you can clearly tell they were knitted. In the after pictures, the stitches are less visible and have a matted and much softer look.

Funky Felted Wool Fish Before....



Funky Wool Felted Fish After....
Funky Handknitted Wool Hat Before.....



Funky Handknitted Wood Hat After.....


And this is the shawl I started today. It will be perfect for wearing on cooler spring days to take the chill off and will be a good way to dress up a pair of jeans, just in case I get to go somewhere fun on a Saturday night!



Or perhaps a visit to a nearby farm on Maine Maple Sunday. http://www.paintedpepperfarm.com/maple_sunday.html

1 comment:

Lili said...

Onedia, Fish pattern I used was in "Knitters Stash" by Barbara Albright and is copyrighted material. But here is a link to some free felting patterns where you'll find another fish that I think is even better: http://www.knittychick.com/freebiepatterns.htm
Would love to see your felting work...especially after seeing your gorgeous jewelry designs! And I love having knitting with me when we travel too...time well spent!