Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Getting Funky With Felted Wool

This is my stash of wool yarn...


and here are my bamboo knitting needles.





I like to knit with wool, because it shrinks when you wash it in hot water and you get a totally different look. The process of shrinking wool is called "felting."
Here are before and after pictures of a couple things I handknit in wool on a larger bamboo needle. In the before pictures you can clearly tell they were knitted. In the after pictures, the stitches are less visible and have a matted and much softer look.

Funky Felted Wool Fish Before....



Funky Wool Felted Fish After....
Funky Handknitted Wool Hat Before.....



Funky Handknitted Wood Hat After.....


And this is the shawl I started today. It will be perfect for wearing on cooler spring days to take the chill off and will be a good way to dress up a pair of jeans, just in case I get to go somewhere fun on a Saturday night!



Or perhaps a visit to a nearby farm on Maine Maple Sunday. http://www.paintedpepperfarm.com/maple_sunday.html

2 comments:

Onedia Hayes Sylvest said...

Love the fish. I started knitting last year .... learned years ago...I made hats and handbags for daughter (felted) and other hats plus and shoulder shawl for my dad who gets cold easily. Love it. Supposed to have finished a purse for a friend. Will do on our drive to Maine in April.


Would love the fish pattern if you care to share.

Fearless Nester said...

Onedia, Fish pattern I used was in "Knitters Stash" by Barbara Albright and is copyrighted material. But here is a link to some free felting patterns where you'll find another fish that I think is even better: http://www.knittychick.com/freebiepatterns.htm
Would love to see your felting work...especially after seeing your gorgeous jewelry designs! And I love having knitting with me when we travel too...time well spent!