Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Struggle For Balance

I believe it all started because I spend an allotted time of my day on the computer. I had found this recipe, printed it off, crumpled it up, and then later retrieved it from my trash bin.




After pulling myself away from the laptop, I headed into the kitchen on a mission. Soon, the lovely whir of my KitchenAid Artisan mixer had me completely caught up in the joy of baking a special treat for my husband. Once again being able to fill my tiny glass bowls (a gift from my sister) with pre-measured ingredients, along with the sight of my favorite wooden spoon I would need for making the pastry creme, made me realize I had been missing out on the simple pleasure of baking, by my silly attempt to curb my appetite for sugar.



What a delight it was, to once again use my beautiful pink depression glass cake pedestal that a dear friend gave me years ago!




With lunchtime fast approaching, we headed out a bit earlier than our usual schedule for our daily walk. We noticed the sun had come out, and the freshly fallen snow from the night before was a striking contrast to the darker tones of the surrounding landscape. Strangely, everywhere I looked, began to remind me of of what I knew was back home chilling in the fridge.
.
In my mind, I was seeing powdered sugar everywhere . . .

We had walked nearly 3 miles by the time we arrived at my favorite spot to just sit and gaze. This place was the real masterpiece of the day, and one I was not willing to mess up with my footprints.

24 hours later, 1 portion remains . . .

I look forward to returning my lovely pink pedestal dish to its spot in the cupboard.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dear lilly,
you make the best cake east of the mississippi river. If i had only known you had that cake i would have come and gobbeled the last piece.......you MUST promise to make another. Your fat friend(who likes your pies and cakes and the candy from your canoe....Capt. Danube.

Queenie said...

ooooo will you share the recipe?

Lili said...

Dear anonymous Capt. Danube (if that really is your name). Henri is eating all the candy from the canoe. . . you better get over here fast! Oh what shall I bake for tomorrow? You know I only bake for you and Henri. Diane and I are happy with champagne!

Dear Queenie...oooo I would be happy to share the recipe with you dear...is this a test though...to see if I really do read your posts...like the one about some guy named Adkins or something...I really want to do the right thing here...(sigh) I'm so conflicted...

Queenie said...

You are tooooo funny - Yes I am on Atkins but my six children are not. My son is due home for a short leave from Afghanistan in a month or so and I know he would LOVE this cake! Thanks for keeping me on the straight and narrow!

Lili said...

Queenie - Thejoyofcooking.com is the website where you will find the recipe. It is a very evil website with lots of decadent 8 x 10 glossy photos in full color and such. Note: The Boston Cream Pie there is not shown with a dusting of powdered sugar...I am such a deviant that I just could not leave the chocolate glaze alone.

And six children you say...how much fun you will have!! And God Bless your son for his service.