Sunday, May 31, 2009

My Little Garden of Eat'n

This was our side yard about a month ago.


And this was after I removed a few patches of sod in the hopes of starting my first ever vegetable garden. When I headed out with my shovel, I had no design plan in mind, but by the end of the day a series of geometric shapes began to emerge.


I overheard a neighbor tell my husband he thought that my "garden" was really a secret plan to signal aliens.


Anyway, I needed quick information about how to grow a garden. I found myself altering the route of my daily walks to catch a glimpse of other people's gardens and even managed to chat with a few folks I saw out working in their gardens. I was so eager to learn as much as I could about growing vegetables. And my mother, who has always had a vegetable garden, handed me her copy of this magazine for my very own.

So it seems my "gardening gene" had finally kicked in! Who knew? My first plantings were lettuce and radishes that I sowed right into the ground on May 15.




And this is what they look like now.





I also planted sweet peas from seed which I hope will
grow right up this trellis . .





And this little fella will be at the top waiting!





Oh, sure, I know how to plant annuals





especially in rusty, old reclaimed planters.






And even shade loving perennials





But this vegetable gardening is a FIRST for me.





So this is my tiny garden patch as it grows today.



Aliens. That's absurd!

3 comments:

Queenie said...

LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT! How utterly boring it would have been to garden in a big rectangle - and the teepee garden house? Fantastic!

Mickey (Michel) Johnson said...

...yipee! congrats on your first vegetable garden. nothing like the fruits or veggies of your hard labour! love the geometric shapes...definately not boring! the teepee is cute too! can't wait to see pics of the progress! xo, mickey

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

What a fun garden - and the teepee. I just found your blog and have been enjoying exploring it.